Preventative Care & Exams for Your Oral Health
Preventative oral health care helps keep your teeth and gums healthy, combating issues before they develop into a more serious health problem. Brushing, flossing, and eating nutritious foods regularly are some ways you can control your oral health. At Portway Dental Centre in Stoney Creek, we offer preventative exams, checkups, and cleanings as part of our prevention services.
Some tips on avoiding tooth or gum problems include:
- Tongue cleaning with a soft-bristled toothbrush or tongue cleaner fights bacteria and bad breath. Cleaning your tongue is especially important for people who smoke, or whose tongues are coated or deeply grooved.
- Consider mouthwashes that contain fluoride and other ingredients that fight plaque.
- Schedule routine trips to the dentist at least 2 times a year.
- Maintain routine checkups or recommended blood tests that are ordered by your health professional if you use a blood thinning medicine or have a bleeding disorder.
- Refrain from smoking or using other tobacco products as they can decrease your ability to fight gum infection and delay healing.
- Don’t use illegal drugs, like methamphetamines, as they cause tooth and gum problems.